Aaron Joins Litigation Counsel of America
July 13, 2022
Aaron & Gianna, PLC is pleased to announce that firm Managing Shareholder, William D. Aaron, Jr. has become a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America. The Litigation Counsel of America is an invitation-only trial lawyer honorary society established to reflect the new face of the American bar. Membership is limited to 3,500 Fellows, representing less than one-half of one percent of American lawyers. The composition of the LCA is aggressively diverse, with recognition of exc…
The following are a representative sampling of the matters successfully handled by attorneys of our law firm:
- Served as lead or co-counsel in the prosecution or defense of class actions and other complex multi-party litigation. Substantive areas have included toxic torts, product liability, opioids, medical claims, state action and mass layoffs.
- Served as lead or co-counsel for plaintiffs in state and federal court cases involving serious personal injuries or wrongful deaths.
- Advised Charter Advisory Board for the state's second largest parish in connection with proposed changes to that parish's Home Rule Charter
- Served as lead counsel for large Louisiana municipality in federal court action against international telecommunications company. The suit sought compensation for the company's use of rights of way belonging to the municipality, and resulted in a judgment in excess of $5.1 Million.
- Served as appellate counsel on behalf of a variety of clients before Louisiana's Supreme and appellate courts, the U.S. Fifth and Ninth Circuit Courts of Appeal and the U.S. Supreme Court
- Obtained voluntary dismissal with prejudice of state court action brought against national insurance company by purchaser of annuity contract. The suit sought to compel transfer of the annuity contract which was prohibited by its stated terms.
- Provided ongoing legal advice and assistance to business and governmental clients with respect to the various labor and employment laws affecting their operations.
- Defended large and small employers sued in federal court for alleged violations of state and federal laws prohibiting discrimination in employment.
- Served as general or special counsel for a variety of local government agencies.
- Defended large employers in collective actions brought in federal court for alleged overtime and other violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Served as legal advisor to hospitals, physicians and other health care providers.
- Defended local and national real estate developers in high stakes land use and zoning litigation.
- Served as lead counsel or co-counsel for insurance companies and insurance syndicates in the defense of first party insurance claims arising out of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
- Negotiated highly favorable settlement for property owner sued in federal court for alleged violations of Fair Housing Act.
- Served as trial counsel for insureds in the defense of casualty, malpractice and employment claims brought by third parties.
- Obtained dismissal of multi-million dollar toxic tort/product liability suit against Fortune 100 chemical company.
- Defended governmental clients in a variety of actions alleging violations of civil and/or constitutional rights.
- Obtained reversal of a $22.8 million federal judgment obtained by whistleblowers in a False Claims Act suit brought against a local school board.
- Defended Fortune 100 energy company in federal suits by employees claiming maritime personal injuries .
- Served as principal legal advisor to an economic development agency in connection with bond issue and corresponding cooperative endeavor agreement entered into relative to revitalization of New Orleans Historic Canal Street.
- Negotiated highly favorable settlement for high profile corporate executive on eve of jury trial in multi-million dollar breach of fiduciary duty case brought against him in state district court.
- Represented business and governmental clients before a variety of state and federal administrative agencies such as Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, U.S. Department of Labor, Louisiana Office of Worker's Compensation, Federal Communications Commission, Louisiana Public Service Commission, and U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Represented a variety of businesses in connection with local permitting, taxation and zoning issues.
- Served as general counsel for large and small pension funds.
- Defended tens of clients in state court proceedings seeking injunctive relief.
- Obtained reversal of federal district court award of front pay against Fortune 100 Chemical Company in Americans with Disabilities Act case.
- Obtained reversal of state court judge’s dismissal of local bank’s multi-million dollar collection suit.
- Assisted local District Attorney’s Office in obtaining En Banc appellate review, and ultimately U. S. Supreme Court review of $14 million federal civil rights judgment obtained against the Office by former death row inmate. In 5-4 decision U. S. Supreme Court overturned judgment.
- Obtained maximum jury verdict allowed by law for parents of deceased child in medical malpractice action brought against local hospital.
- Served as lead drafters of Wireless Franchise Ordinance enacted by local city council.
- Served as real estate counsel for local school board in connection with its auction/sale of surplus properties and its acquisition of other properties.
- Served as trust counsel for local financial institutions.
- Conducted internal investigations for business and governmental clients with respect to alleged wrongdoing by their employees.
- Handled commercial loan closings for local financial institutions.
- Served as Cable TV and Telecommunications Advisors to local city council, and represented the City council in litigation before the FCC the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the 5th and 9th Circuits and the U. S. Supreme Court.
- Served as expert witnesses in legal malpractice cases.
- Served as court appointed special masters in NORM and other complex mass tort cases.
- Advised local school board in connection with the layoff of over 7,000 employees in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.
- Obtained tax exempt status for various non-profit organizations and foundations.
- Handled copyright and other intellectual property matters for a variety of clients.
- Served as legal advisor to access television station and its Board of Directors.
- Defended national pension fund in ERISA litigation brought in federal court by plan participant who had previously embezzled millions of dollars from the fund.
- Represented print and television media in connection with a variety of matters including public records requests, responses to subpoenas and the defense of suits alleging libel/slander.
- Represented Charter and other public schools in connection with Special Education Issues.
- Represented a large school district in connection with teacher tenure and other employment matters.
- Successfully defended $300MM Smoking Cessation Trust against demands for information by National Tobacco Companies.
- Successfully defended local school district against claims of oversight authority by a municipal inspector general.