November 16, 2019
In Kocher vs Truth in Politics, Inc and Causeway Connection PAC the Plaintiff, an Orleans Parish Voter, on Wednesday November 13, 2019 sought a Temporary Restraining Order and Preliminary and Permanent Injunctions relative to certain political ads placed by defendants with media outlets in the New Orleans Area in connection with the November 16th General Election for Governor of Louisiana. The ads were alleged to be false and misleading in violation of the Louisiana E…
William D. Aaron, Jr.
Managing Shareholder (Chairman, President and CEO)
Bill is the Managing Shareholder (Chairman, President and CEO) of the law firm of Aaron & Gianna, PLC A Professional Law Corporation. He chairs the firm's business litigation practice as well as its transactions practice. A graduate of Duke University and Loyola University School of Law, Bill has over forty (40) years of general and specialized legal experience in the public and private sectors, and is licensed to practice law in Louisiana, Texas and the District of Columbia. Bill represents a diverse group of clients across a variety of industries with a concentration in the areas of business and commercial litigation, banking and trusts, state and municipal government, constitutional law and civil rights, real estate and housing, land use and zoning, labor and employment, creditor's rights and bankruptcy, class actions and general business. Other areas have included legal, governmental and judicial ethics, professional liability/licensing, alternative dispute resolution, insurance and insurance coverage, collective actions, health care, toxic torts, criminal law, public education, media law, public utilities, telecommunications, product liability, serious personal injuries and wrongful death.
Prior to his joining the earliest predecessor to Aaron & Gianna in January of 2000, Bill was a Partner in the New Orleans Office of the regional law firm of Phelps Dunbar, LLP. Bill has served as Assistant District Counsel for the U. S. Small Business Administration, Special Assistant Attorney General for the State of Louisiana, Special Prosecutor for the Orleans Parish District Attorney's Office, City Attorney for the City of New Orleans and outside general or special counsel for a variety of business, financial, governmental and not for profit clients.
Bill is an experienced litigator and has served as lead counsel in complex and high profile trials, appeals and writs before a variety of state and federal courts including the U. S. Supreme Court. He has overseen thousands of civil and criminal cases, argued over 600 pre-trial motions and served as lead counsel in over 200 Judge and Jury trials. Bill has authored over 100 appellate briefs and argued over 60 appeals. He has twice convinced the U. S. Supreme Court to grant certiorari in cases of national importance.
In addition to being an experienced litigator, Bill is a seasoned transactional attorney and a licensed title insurance agent. He regularly oversees complex financial, real estate, corporate and commercial transactions as well as regulatory and compliance matters for private developers, financial institutions, government agencies and entrepreneurs.
Bill is AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell in the areas of Litigation, Commercial Law and General Practice. He is listed in the Best Lawyers in America in the areas of Municipal Law and Municipal Litigation. and in Louisiana Super Lawyers and Super Lawyers Business Edition in the area of Business Litigation. Bill is a two time recipient of the New Orleans City Business Newspaper's Leadership in Law Award.
Bill has served as a court appointed special master in toxic tort and other complex civil cases and as an expert witness on legal ethics, legal malpractice, and attorneys fees. He is a former member of the Louisiana Attorney Disciplinary Board, and in 2011 served as its Chairman. Bill has had intensive training in alternative dispute resolution and is a Mediator, Arbitrator and Umpire with Mediation Arbitration Professional Systems, Inc. (MAPS) with offices in Metairie, the Northshore and Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
Bill has served as a legal advisor to local, state and federal government officials, federal agencies, municipalities, parishes, school boards, housing authorities, economic development agencies, sewer and water boards, transit and transportation authorities, aviation boards, charter advisory boards, District Attorneys, charter schools and other public and quasi-public entities in a wide range of areas including: governmental ethics, small business lending, home rule charters, municipal franchises, state and local taxation, affordable housing, gaming, real estate, land use and zoning, economic development, labor and employment, civil service, teacher tenure, public bidding and other procurements, open meetings, public records, DBE Policies and Programs, pensions and other benefits, real estate development, real estate financing, constitutional law, civil rights, construction, public finance, class actions, collective actions, insurance and insurance coverage, tax credits, public education, lender liability, drainage disputes, access television and telecommunications.
Bill has served on the adjunct faculty at Loyola University's College of Law where he taught Civil Procedure as well as its School of Business where he taught Business Law. He is a much sought after lecturer on legal topics and has spoken at continuing legal education programs sponsored by the American Bar Association, the New Orleans Bar Association, the New Orleans Chapter of the Federal Bar Association, the National Institute for Trial Advocacy, the National Business Institute, Loyola Law School, Tulane Law School, the Louisiana Bar Association, the Florida Bar Association, the Louis A. Martinet Legal Society, the National Bar Association, the Professional Educational Systems Institute, the Louisiana Judicial Council, the City of New Orleans Department of Law, the Jefferson Parish Department of Law and the Louisiana Attorney Disciplinary Board.
A prominent figure in local business and civic circles, Bill has served on the Board of Directors of a number of organizations including the Jefferson Business Council (Chairman 2016), Greater New Orleans, Inc., the Pontchartrain Park Community Development Corporation, Laureate Academy Charter School (Chairman 2016/2017, 2017/2018) and 2018/2019, the New Orleans Museum of Art, CrimeStoppers, Volunteers of America and the New Orleans Chamber of Commerce (Chairman 2012). In January of 2015 Bill was named by New Orleans CityBusiness Newspaper as one of the thirty-five (35) “Driving Forces” on the New Orleans business scene in the ten year period following Hurricane Katrina.
Bill is deeply committed to diversity in the legal profession and is the recipient of the National Diversity Council's 2012 Multicultural Leadership Award.
Bachelor of Arts, Duke University (1972) (Member Junior Varsity and Varsity Fencing Teams)
Juris Doctor, Loyola University School of Law (1977) (Member National Moot Court Team)
Bar Admissions/Admissions to Practice
State of Louisiana (1977)
District of Columbia (1979)
State of Texas (2011)
U. S. District Courts Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of La.
U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
Supreme Court of the United States
Major Areas of Practice:
State and Federal Litigation including:
Complex and High Profile Civil and Commercial Litigation
Class and Collective Actions
Constitutional Law and Civil Rights
State and Municipal Government Law
Insurance (Defense, Coverage, Products and Self Insured Claims)
Professional Liability/Licensing (Legal, Medical, Accounting, Director & Officer)
Toxic Torts and Environmental Law
Labor, Employment and Employee Benefits
Serious Personal Injury and Wrongful Death
Land Use and Zoning
Corporate, Transactional, Regulatory and Advisory Services including:
Corporate and Public Agency Governance
Contracts and Other Agreements
Telecommunications, Cable TV and Technology
State and Municipal Government
Banking, Finance and Trusts
Real Estate, Housing, Land Use and Zoning
Ethics (Legal, Governmental, Judicial and Business)
Labor, Employment and Employee Benefits
Public/Private Partnerships and Economic Development
Alternative Dispute Resolution including:
Other Areas of Practice:
Expert Witness Testimony (Legal Malpractice, Legal Ethics, Attorneys Fees, Louisiana Sunshine Laws)
Special Master Services (Mass Torts and Other Multiparty Litigation)
False Claims Act Litigation
Public Utility Regulatory Law
Tax Exempt Organizations
Previous Legal, Law Teaching and Adjudicative Positions Held
- City Attorney, City of New Orleans
- Special Prosecutor, Orleans Parish District Attorney's Office
- Panel Chair (and Chairman of Adjudicative Committee), Louisiana Attorney Disciplinary Board
- Court Appointed Special Master, Orleans Parish Civil District Court (various complex civil cases)
- Hearing Committee Chairman/Lawyer Member, Louisiana Attorney Disciplinary Board
- Partner, Phelps Dunbar, LLP
- Of Counsel, Polack, Rosenberg, Rittenberg & Endom
- Special Assistant Attorney General for the State of Louisiana
- Managing Shareholder, William D. Aaron, Jr., PLC
- Assistant District Counsel, U. S. Small Business Administration
- Faculty Member, National Institute For Trial Advocacy (NITA)
- Adjunct Professor (Business Law), Loyola University College of Business Administration
- Adjunct Professor (La. Code of Civil Procedure), Loyola University College of Law
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America (Municipal Law; Municipal Litigation) (2008 - 2019)
- Listed in Louisiana Super Lawyers (Business Litigation) (2009 - 2019)
- Listed in Super Lawyers Business Edition (Business Litigation) (2009 - 2019)
- Listed as a Top Area Lawyer, New Orleans Magazine (2008 -2018)
- Recipient, New Orleans City Business Newpaper's Driving Forces Award (2015)
- Recipient, New Orleans City Business Newspaper's Leadership in Law Award (2008, 2012)
- Recipient, Harmony Neighborhood Development Service Award (2012)
- Recipient, National Diversity Council's Multicultural Leadership Award (2012)
- Recipient, Outstanding Service Award, Big Brothers/Big Sisters of New Orleans
- Faculty Designation, National Institute For Trial Advocacy (NITA)
- “AV” peer review rating (Litigation, Commercial Law and General Practice), Martindale-Hubbell Legal Directory
- Licensed Title Insurance Agent, State of Louisiana
- Recipient, Loyola Law School Law Alumni Award For Appellate Advocacy
- Former Member, Merit Selection Panels for the Appointment and Reappointment of U. S. Magistrate Judges, U. S. District Court Eastern District of Louisiana
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- National Bar Association
- Louisiana Attorney Disciplinary Board (Board Member: 2006 through 2011); (Board Chairman: 2011); Board Vice Chairman: 2010); Hearing Committee Chairman/Lawyer Member: 2001-2006)
- Assistant Bar Examiner (La. Code of Civil Procedure), Louisiana Supreme Court Committee on Bar Admissions (2001-2015)
- Louisiana Bankers Association, Bank Counsel Section
- Visiting Committee, Loyola Law School (Emeritus Status) (Former Chairman)
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- New Orleans Metropolitan Association of Title Attorneys (NOMATA)
Aaron, William D. Jr., "Fifth Circuit Symposium: Federal Jurisdiction and Procedure" 38 Loyola Law Review 805 (1992-1993)
CLE and other Presentations
Frequent speaker at continuing legal education programs and other seminars on a wide range of topics including: Civil Procedure; Insurance Coverage, Telecommunications, Labor & Employment Law, Land Use & Zoning Law; Constitutional Law & Civil Rights, Depositions, Legal Ethics, Governmental Ethics, Open Meetings and Public Records. Listing and copies of speeches and other presentations furnished upon request.
Civic and Community Activities
- Member, Board of Directors, Laureate Academy Charter School (Chairman - 2016/2017, 2017/2018 and 2018/2019)
- Member, Executive Board, Jefferson Business Council (Vice Chairman - 2015; Chairman - 2016)
- Member and Co-Chair, Legislative Affairs Committee - New Orleans Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Chairman's Council - New Orleans Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Board of Directors, New Orleans Chamber of Commerce (Chairman 2012)
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Greater New Orleans, Inc.
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Pontchartrain Park Community Development Corporation
- Former Member, Task Force on the Crescent City Connection (appointed by Governor, nominated by Jefferson Business Council)
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Volunteers of America
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Travelers Aid Society of Greater New Orleans
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Mental Health Association of Greater New Orleans
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Crime Stoppers
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Big Sisters (now Big Brothers/Big Sisters) of Greater New Orleans
- Former Member, Board of Directors, New Orleans Neighborhood Development Collaborative (now known as Harmony Neighborhood Development)
- Former Member, Board of Trustees, New Orleans Museum of Art
Other Business Interests and Affiliations
- Mediator, Arbitrator and Umpire - Mediation Arbitration Professional Systems, Inc. (MAPS)
- Managing Member, Aaron Management and Development, LLC
- Director, First NBC Bank Holding Company